Powell Industries, Inc. Project Manager in Acheson, Alberta
The Project Manager is responsible for all elements of the project management position, including:
- Managing one or multiple projects from pre-booking to customer acceptance.
- Prioritizing and directing project activities during the project lifecycle to include planning, scheduling, change management, design, procurement, manufacturing, integration, testing, shipping, and subsequent handoff to Service;
- Ensuring assigned projects meet contractual objectives by effectively managing the project schedule, cost, and scope;
- Proactively following change control procedures as needed when contractual objectives change which may include providing contingency plans and problem resolution reports to ensure customer satisfaction;
- Acting as the primary contact between the customer and the organization in order to maintain existing customer relationships and drive customer satisfaction while meeting business objectives.
- Significantly influencing key stakeholders to meet customer needs and business requirements.
Project Manager is the owner of/accountable for the following activities or work:
- Provides consultation on proposal development as required, including estimating project management efforts on projects and scheduling projects for proposals.
- Participates in the internal Kick Off meeting from Sales/Application Engineering to the organization.
- Initiates and leads the Customer Kick Off meeting.
- Flows down contract requirements to the project team to ensure each team member is aware of his/her obligations.
- Develops the project schedule and allocate project budget based on initial commitments both internally and externally (contractual).
- Develops and manages the project schedule with input from various departments to ensure alignment with both internal and contractual delivery commitments.
- Conducts project-specific meetings with both in-house personnel and the customer, as needed.
- Follows document management processes for project documentation to ensure compliance with business, contractual, and document retention requirements/laws.
- Manages the scope and deliverables from vendors and subcontractors.
- Validates project terms, conditions and commercial viability using Powell quote and standard business practices as the baseline.
- Participates and presents project status at Project Review and POC meetings, as required.
- Coordinates project management essential responsibilities with project managers in other Powell Divisions on multi-organizational projects.
- Develops and manages Project Management Plans, as needed.
- Owns the execution of project activities to proactively meet project cost, schedule, deliverables, and manages scope changes to achieve customer requirements.
- Proactively manages both risks and opportunities and regularly communicates to the business and the customer as needed.
- Proactively follows the change management process to document and approve all changes that impact project cost, schedule or scope. This includes positive/negative and internal/external sources of change.
- Serves as focal point for all communications between the customer and Powell.
- Leads problem resolution activities throughout the lifecycle of the project both internally and externally.
- Is responsible for periodic updates of project financials including but not limited to revenue budgets, cost budgets and forecasts, while maintaining communication to upper management/accounting on potential risk and risk resolution for assigned orders or other orders with same end-user/customers.
- Ensures proper updating and reporting of project schedule status to the customer.
- Is responsible for customer deliverables in order to maintain project schedule, cost and scope.
- Prepares or oversees preparation of contractual invoicing, pursues timely payments from the customer and authorizes payments for major buys to material suppliers and subcontractors.
- Obtains formal acceptance from the Customer for all contractual deliverables.
- Authorizes and approves all project shipments.
- Ensures completion of project closeout activities.
- Is accountable for the commercial success, customer satisfaction and delivery of assigned projects.
- Bachelor Degree in business, engineering or other related field from an accredited institution and/or equivalent work experience.
- Preferably five (5) years of project management experience, in the construction, manufacturing, oil & gas and/or power distribution industry, or similarly complex projects.
- Member of a professional body and project management certification preferred.
- Experience with project management functions such as purchasing, commercial/sales, engineering management, etc.
- Demonstrated ability to lead and influence a strong matrix-organized team through the lifecycle of a project including the establishment of a clear work breakdown structure (WBS) that aligns with project scope, budget and schedule.
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to effectively communicate with all stakeholders.
- Detail oriented and results driven.
- Demonstrated ability to make good decisions based on limited information.
- Demonstrated ability to negotiate with and influence customers, subcontractors and other key stakeholders.
- Strong focus on customer satisfaction.
- Strong experience to deliver technical solutions to customers.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills, with ability to be flexible to adjust to changing project conditions.
- Strong computer skills and skilled in the use of project scheduling software (Primavera, MS Project, ERP system).