Cosma International Senior Electrical Systems Engineer in Newmarket, Ontario
This position is for Closures Technical Centre, a division of Magna Closures & Mirrors.
Magna Closures & Mirrors, an operating unit of Magna International, is one of the world’s leading suppliers of innovative closure systems and modules as well as offers a variety of exterior and interior mirror systems to the global automotive industry. Our focus is on developing technically sophisticated and economically viable products in order to satisfy our customers at any time.
Designs, develops and improves new and existing products/systems with embedded system controls for automotive. Generally completes the following duties and responsibilities with the support of senior engineering personnel and/or engineering management.
- Generally assigned to develop & improve existing and new automotive electromechanical systems and products (e.g. may be responsible for changes based on new requirements, or may contribute to the application of new technology, Innovation).
- Captures customer requirements, regulations and product specifications into the design of the assigned products/systems,
- Generating strategy for vehicle level bus communication protocol (i.e. CAN, LIN) and automotive electrical/electronic system architecture including definition of I/O’s and component interactions with complete documentation.
- Define and execute the Statement of Work / Statement of Requirement for the system and components.
- Incorporates customer requirements, regulations and product specifications into the design of the assigned products, ensuring compliance with Closures Software Development Process, operational, cost, timing, safety, reliability, quality, and manufacturing feasibility parameters.
- Consults and collaborates with personnel in various engineering and design activities relative to product development requirements in order to create/support robust electro-mechanical systems control methods to eliminate campaign failure modes.
- Writes/compiles engineering content for the following deliverables: Product Specification, Schematic, Bill of Materials, Printed Circuit Design, Testing Plan DVP&R;’s, 8D’s, Electrical Tolerances, prototype control plans, key product characteristics, engineering changes and work orders.
- Working knowledge of EDA tools, electronic circuit board manufacturing and typically interfaces and coordinates the activities of contract manufacturers for the fabrication and test of electronic products
- Coordinates the complete development for the assigned products/systems including, but not limited to embedded software design, documentation, developing C and assembly source code, in accordance with standard operating procedures and the product development/delivery process.
- Reviews, approves, completes, and submits required change notices to ensure software quality meets design inputs.
- Writes, compiles and integrates Software based on above requirements.
- Conducts code reviews with peers and customer.
- Uses system analysis tools (LabView, programmers, oscilloscopes, meters, analyzers, etc.) to evaluate system performance
- Creates engineering documentation for the following deliverables as outlined in Closures Software Development Process: Product Specification, Software Requirement Specification, Software Development Plan, Software Design and Implementation Document, 8D’s, key product characteristics, engineering changes and work orders.
- Able to develop new and optimize existing project documentation in order to add value and improve efficiency of communication.
- Supports analysis activities. Fundamental understanding and ability to apply/utilize basic mathematical models, software simulation such as MatLab, Simulink and software development environments for embedded applications.
- Responsible for managing product/system validation to ensure key deliverables are met (i.e. functional requirements, cost targets, timing, safety, and reliability).
- Conducts effective communications within the project team (interdisciplinary communication) and with the customer, suppliers, manufacturing and quality communities with minimal guidance from engineering management and engineering personnel.
Knowledge and Education
- Bachelor’s degree in Electrical/Physics/Computer Engineering/Control Systems from an accredited University
- 5-10 years of engineering experience
- Vehicle level bus communication protocol development experience (i.e. CAN, LIN)
- Working knowledge of electrical hardware (including wire harness), software and electrical circuit theory as it relates to embedded controls for electro-mechanical systems.
- Prior automotive production launch experience required
Skills and Competencies
- Understand hardware embedded environments such as Freescale, Renesas, Philips, Infineon, Microchip, Atmel, Etc.
- Expert level C, Assembly language, Matlab, Simulink, Labview, Lab windows or other software design/test tools
- Understanding of standard software processes and industry requirements ASPICE, ISO, IEEE, CMMI, MISRA, AUTOSAR
- Capacitive/Electric Field based sensing experience
- Ultrasonic based sensing experience
- Radar based sensing experience
Accommodations for disabilities in relation to the job selection process are available upon request.
Group: Magna Closures & Mirrors
Division: Closures Technical Centre
Job Type: Regular