Microsoft Corporation Optical Engineer in Shenzhen, China
Microsoft is a world leader in the design of personal computing devices. We are currently looking for a creative and talented individual with a passion for high performance for technology to engage in development and qualification of optical imaging systems and illumination systems used in personal computing devices. Primary responsibilities include specification and design, design verification and manufacturing qualification of high-volume, low-cost, plastic injection molded optical components, camera modules, light filters, cover windows, optical coatings, and LEDs that are used in personal computing devices. In order to test and qualify the optical components and modules, the candidate will need to travel to the factories of Microsoft suppliers, work on site at the suppliers’ factories, and drive manufacturing processes and solve complex technical problems in delivering high performance and high quality products. The candidate is expected to use data-driven analytical process to characterize, test, analyze, and verify critical-to-quality (CTQ) parameters of optics related components and modules, and work with optical engineers, mechanical engineers, electrical engineers, manufacturing engineers, test engineers and program managers from Microsoft and their suppliers to qualify optical components and modules used in high volume personal computing devices.
The optical engineer will be responsible for specifying, characterizing, testing, analyzing, and verifying optical components and modules used in personal computing devices. This person should have solid knowledge in optics design and optical testing, and be very familiar with the general manufacturing processes, production tests, and off line test techniques for qualification of optical components and modules. He/she should have a working knowledge, experience, and skills in mass production of optical components and modules used in illumination, imaging, and display. Candidate in this role will be expected to conduct data analysis on the data generated from production line tests, off line tests, and reliability tests. The candidate should be proficient in using data analysis tools, e.g., Minitab, Jump, Excel, and similar tools for statistical quality control, data analysis and visualization. He/she should have good written and verbal communication skills, and know how to use data-driven analytical process to run DOE and failure analysis. The candidate should be experienced in DOE and driving failure analysis activities in Microsoft suppliers when there are failures in the CTQs of products and their related processes. This role will have up to 50% annual travel in Asia/China region and occasionally other international regions.
This role will require engagement on multiple products with cross-functional teams at multiple Microsoft suppliers. Strong skill-set in analysis and problem solving as well as communication are required.
• 8+ years of experience in specifying and performing characterization and validation of optical components and camera modules for high volume consumer electronic products
• 8+ years of proven experience in designing and developing test systems and tools for optical components and camera modules
• 8+ years of practical experience with lens, light modulators, collimators, interferometers, photometer, spectrometer, LEDs, laser sources, auto-focus actuators, optical coatings, and optical bench set-ups.
• Knowledge of radiometry, photometry, light budget, image quality characterization
• Knowledge of manufacturing process for digital imaging components and camera system
• Proficient with analysis software and tool (Minitab, Jump, Excel, MATLAB), optical metrology and data analysis.
• Experience in developing high-volume (millions of units/year) consumer products preferred.
• Working knowledge in camera lenses, CMOS image sensors, and LEDs
• Experience in working as a vendor manager working with Asian Manufacturers is a plus.
• Team player with excellent conversational and written communication, negotiation and presentation skills
A BS or MS in Optical Sciences, Physics, Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering or related degree with 8+ years relevant experience.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form at https://careers.microsoft.com/us/en/accommodationrequest .
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.